Reading Log Questions

Ashley Chang
Engw 1101
Professor Young
February 7, 2016

Reading Log Questions

1. Who is Kelly?

Kelly was a slave owner. He had Pardee, an elderly white man as his prisoner. " 'Okay, Padree," he said. 'We gonna try you right here.' (Padree replys) 'Kelly, I already told you I weren't a Yank' .." This dialogue shows that Kelly is the one that is giving Padree the orders. Meaning he is in control. 

2. Who are the Red Shirts?

The Red Shirts are the pro slavers. These people are looking for John Brown. Nigger Bob explains to Onion that they're looking for John Brown. " 'Every redshirt within a hundred miles is rolling these plains for him (John Brown)' " (Mcbride 63).

3. Who is Nigger Bob?

Nigger Bob is the slave that was driving the wagon around for Kelly. " '... this here wagon belongs to Marse Jack Settles. And he ain't give me no permission to ride nobody in it. I done what Mr. Kelly said 'cause I had to..." (Mcbride 60). This shows that Nigger Bob is a slave and he was driving around Kelly because he had to.



*Did not know what images to use since none of this relates to me*

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Think that a little more detail why Kelly had Pardee prisoner, would have been good, also I don't see a page number for a quote on #1. Overall good answers, and can relate to not being able to find pictures to fit the questions.

akrell@fdu.student said...

I thought your answers were thorough. Your quotes were useful in explaining something about who Kelly, the Red Shirts and Nigger Bob were. I'm not sure pictures would have made your answers clearer.

Unknown said...

I agree with Pat, it could've used a little more detail why he was imprisoned but I like the way you use quotes from the text. Your answers were descriptive, so good job over all. And for the pictures, I just Googled some old slavery pictures that seemed relatable to the question.